Serrapeptase has taken on a new awakening in the natural medicine field. Whenever a new product gets attention, naturally there are questions. One of the questions I am getting in my FB group is “Can Serrapeptase cause high blood pressure?”.
What is High Blood Pressure?
Let’s determine what is high blood pressure first. High blood pressure is the force of the blood against the arteries. The normal blood pressure is 120/80.
High blood pressure is dangerous because it can cause organ damage. In fact, it is called the “silent killer” because by the time many people know they have it, the damage is done.
This damage is seen in the form of kidney failure, stroke, and heart attacks.
What is Serrapeptase?
Serrapeptase, which is an enzyme from the trypsin family is being used to combat acute and chronic inflammation. The Serrapeptase enzyme contains COX-1 and COX-2. COX enzyme neutralizes inflammation.
Serrapeptase is an chemical from the silkworm. Serrapeptase is used frequently in Japan and Europe as a prescription drug. In the United States, Serrapeptase is classified as a supplement.
Inflammation and Heart Disease
Inflammation is a causes of many diseases including heart disease. This is why cardiologists will perform a CRP level on their patients. A CRP level measures the amount of inflammation in the body.
High blood pressure is sometimes caused by inflammation. Therefore, there is no evidence that Serrapeptase causes high blood pressure.
Research has shown that Serrapeptase may help heart disease caused by coronary artery disease. Serrapeptase is also used for diabetes. both of these diseases cause high blood pressure.
- Arteriosclerosis: This is a disease where there is plaque in the arteries, According to the Mayo Clinic, one cause of plaque is inflammation. Serrapeptase has been used successfully in clearing out plague. People with a plaque in their arteries often have high blood pressure. Serrapeptase does not cause high blood pressure.
Side Effects of Serrapeptase
- Skin reactions such as rashes
- Decreased appetite
- Muscle and Joint pain
- If you take a blood thinner, you need to take precautions if you take Serrapeptase because this enzyme decreases the clotting of the blood.
- People having surgery should not take Serrapeptase at least for a week.
- Stomach upset
- There has been no research done on pregnant women and Serrapeptase.
There has been a plethora of research done on Serrapeptase. It is actually used as a prescription drug in many countries.
I have talked about the known side effects of Serrapeptase.
Serrapeptase does not cause high blood pressure.
In fact, there is evidence that Serrapeptase reduces high blood pressure because of its anti-inflammatory properties.