Amalaki Helps GERD
Heartburn is due to excessive secretion of gastric acid or its reflux to the food pipe, along with delayed gastric emptying and fermentation of food. Gastric acidity and inflammation of the stomach are called gastritis.
Gastritis produces a common symptom of burning sensation in the middle part of the upper half of the abdomen, while acid reflux causes throat and heartburn and delayed gastric emptying with fermentation leads to gaseous distension of the abdomen and belching.
There is a natural remedy for heartburn called Amalaki powder.
- Amalaki powder grows throughout India and bears sour-tasting gooseberry-like fruits.
- These abnormalities lead to symptoms like nausea, loss of appetite, indigestion and mild to moderate upper abdominal pain and distress.
- Frequent dietary irregularities and ingestion of irritant materials like too spicy and sour foods, alcohol and analgesic drugs like aspirin are the common causes of acidity and gastritis.
- Mental stress significantly aggravates the symptoms of acidity and gastritis.
- Improperly treated acidity may lead to peptic ulcer due to damage in the mucosal lining of the stomach and duodenum.
Using Amalaki powder is effective in the management of reflux disease and erosive reflux.
Here Are Some Tips to Avoid Acid Reflux
Judicious use of Amalaki powder is effective in the successful management of acidity and gastritis with certain interventions.
- Do not overeat
- Do not have long gaps between meals
- Eat soft and easily digestible food
- Do not eat spicy food
- Do not eat raw and leafy vegetables
- Avoid alcohol, dairy, and fried foods
What Foods Should You Eat if You Have GERD or Acid Reflux
- Rice and Barley
What is Amalaki?
Amalaki, which is a small or medium-sized tree found abundantly in mixed deciduous forests and cultivated in gardens and home yards, has been used for centuries to help digestive issues.
Amalaki is used in Ayurveda medicine.
Ripe fruits are collected in late winter or early summer and are dried in shade. Dried fruits are then separated from the seeds and are kept in airtight plastic bags or boxes under dry storage conditions.
GERD or gastroesophageal reflux disease is one of the most common digestive disorders. GERD is caused by the reflux of stomach contents into the esophagus.
Amalaki is a common Ayurvedic medicine for acid reflux treatment. Amalaki is used for acidity and gastritis.
There are two types of GERD:
- Erosive esophagitis
- Non-erosive reflux disease
Method of Preparation
- Seedless dried fruits of (1) Amalaki are cleaned and ground into a fine powder using a grinder or pulverizer.
- The powder is sieved through a mesh to remove coarse particles and fibers.
- The powder should be kept in a dry, airtight container to prevent (3) exposure to moisture.
- The potency of the properly preserved dried fruits lasts for one (4) year.
Dosage and Administration
- In adults, the dose of Amalaki powder is 3 to 6 grams and in children 500 mg to 1 gram, twice a day, to be swallowed on an empty stomach or just before meals with water.
Indications and Uses
- Vomiting during pregnancy
Clinical trials have proven Amalaki to be effective in the management of acidic gastritis, non-ulcer dyspepsia and duodenal ulcer with significant prevention of recurrence of symptoms
Amalaki powder can also be used as a natural supplement of vitamin C in nutritional deficiencies and pregnancy.
Dangers of Not Treating GERD or Acid Reflux
As a nurse, I see people in the emergency room that presents with crushing chest pain and nausea.
Often times GERD symptoms present the same way as heart attack symptoms. This is because there is a nerve, called the vagal nerve that goes through your stomach and heart.
If GERD goes untreated for very long, the acid destroys your esophagus. In fact, there is a condition called Barrett’s Esophagus that has been associated with increased acid from GERD.
There are many medications to treat GERD or acid reflux. Some of the medications called proton pump inhibitors or PPI’s have many side effects. PPI’s have a black box warning from the FDA because they are known to interfere with magnesium absorption. As we know, magnesium is the heart mineral.
Amalaki is also known as Amla Berry.
While amla shows promise in providing relief for GERD symptoms, it’s important to note that individual responses may vary.
Consulting a healthcare professional before making significant dietary changes is essential, especially for individuals with pre-existing conditions or those on specific medications.
Amla’s rich nutritional content and potential health benefits make it an intriguing natural remedy for managing GERD symptoms.
Incorporating amla into a well-rounded GERD management plan, along with other lifestyle modifications, could contribute to improved quality of life for those affected by this condition.